Safe Straw Dysphagia Aid - Options
The SafeStraw Drinking Aid for Dysphagia Helps people with swallowing difficulties to Drink Fluids Safely
- Safe straw for dysphagia fits in standard cups and bottles
- Use with any 0.25-in diameter straw
- Delivers approximately 6.2 ml's (roughly 1 tsp) per suck
- Assists with prevention of aspiration when drinking fluids
Straws not included
How Does it Help swallowing?
Patients with dysphagia have difficulty swallowing or consuming liquids because of their inability to control the liquid bolus.
The SafeStraw provides a limited bolus size by use of a fluid chamber, one way valve, and float. As the patient sucks on the straw, fluid flows through the valve and into the chamber. When the fluid travels through the chamber to the straw, the float rises. After around 6.2ml's the float reaches the top of the chamber closing it off preventing the patient from receiving more fluid. Once they stop sucking, the float sinks to the bottom of the chamber.
This break gives them time to control the liquid bolus and safely swallow. Once the float has reached the bottom of the chamber they can safely draw another 6.2ml's of fluid.
For use with nectar thickened liquids (blue straw) and thin liquids (choose white straw).
Carbonated, honey thickened, or pulpy beverages will render SafeStraw ineffective.
Leef partners with Australia Post to provide you with reliable delivery & easy returns.
- We offer delivery to your door from $6.50*. *Metro Melbourne postcodes only. Click here to see delivery charges to other areas.
- All parcels are sent via ‘Parcel Post’ and include tracking.
- Orders are dispatched within 2 business days of you completing your purchase online.
- Estimated delivery times:
- Melbourne metro deliveries: 2 business days from dispatch from our warehouse
- Interstate metro deliveries: 3 – 7 business days from dispatch from our warehouse
- Country and remote areas: 3-15 business days from dispatch from our warehouse (times vary by region).
- We offer FREE returns to all our customers. You can purchase from us with confidence knowing that you can easily return an item if you need to.
- If you would like to return an item after you receive your order, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us during business hours on 1300 264 412
- For more details on our Easy Returns, please click here.