LIMITED TIME OFFER - Course is available for $299.00 FREE.
Its our way of supporting you while at home and in isolation.
Ideal course for Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Kinesiologists, Exercise Physiologists and Students of these disciplines.
Learn about the dynamic ACTIVATOR Program prescribed as best practice for rehabilitation centres, clinics and community programs across Canada, the UK & Australia to improve outcomes in gait, balance and core strength while inspiring active living.
ACTIVATOR℗ Poles are an evidence-based, patented tool that is revolutionising rehabilitation. Prescribed extensively in all continuums of health care for therapy and to reduce the use of passive mobility devices such as canes, crutches and walkers.
“They have been instrumental in promoting an upright posture and a functional walking pattern compared to canes and walkers. In my opinion they facilitate rehabilitation and return patients to optimal function faster.”
Dr. Charles G. Fisher MD MHSc FRCSC, Past President of the Canadian Spine Society
Course Participants Will:
• Understand research based on 9 studies on the ACTIVATOR Poles & 280+ on Nordic walking (PubMed)
• Perform the Activator Technique for better balance and off loading.
• Discover an effective alternative (or in conjunction) to passive devices, such as canes, and to delay/reduce the use of walkers and crutches.
• Understand how to utilize the design of the Activator Poles for improved core strength, improving gait outcomes including speed, stride, reduce gait variability & arm swing
• Enhance their exercise programs using poles to improve upper and lower body movement flow and promote proper posture.
• Understand how to determine the proper technique and adapt seated, standing and pre-gait exercises for specific conditions such as Parkinson’s, Stroke, Geriatric, Aged Care, Pre/Post Hip and Knee Surgery, Cancer Rehab, Spinal Conditions.
• Learn how to inspire clients in wellness & weight management programs and increase intensity for rehab using the Urban Poling/Nordic walking technique.
• Course Bonus: New Be-Balanced Module on innovative & effective exercises programs using tons of new seated and standing exercises to specifically target balance and mobility.
Online Course Agenda (4 hours) Approved by APTA 3 CEU
• Research Review – 30 minutes
• ACTIVATOR Adjustment – 15 minutes
• Activator Technique -30 minutes
• Seated, Standing & Pre-Gait Exercises – 30 minutes
• Urban Poling/Nordic walking Technique – 30 minutes
• Contraindications & Guidelines for Specific Conditions – 30 minutes
• Group Exercise Guidelines & Insurance Coverage -15 minutes
• Assessments & Manual Review – 45 minutes
• Quiz – 15 minutes. 70% grade requirement.
*Schedule is based on suggested timelines for practice sessions and reading the manual.
Included in this course:
• Certificate. Course is CCU approved by the ProCert with APTA, ACSM*, CCAA and FAI. Upon request with CSEP
• Monthly Newsletter
• Online comprehensive Manual
• Professional Pricing on Activator & Urban Poles i.e. 15% off RRP.*
Audience: Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Kinesiologists, Exercise Physiologists and Students of these disciplines.
Time Required: This is a 3.5 to 4 hour online course that can be completed on your own timeline. You will receive a link via email along with a special password to view the course on your computer. Course chapters consist of videos and PowerPoint Presentations with audio.
Presenter and Guest Speakers of Online Course
Mandy Shintani has been an occupational therapist for 30+ years and is a Gerontologist. She is an international conference speaker and recently presented at the International 200 years of Parkinson’s Disease Conference in Australia, the National Fall Prevention conference (Canada) and provided a poster presentation in the UK at the ACPIN Neuro conference. Fourteen years ago, she developed the evidence-based ACTIVATOR Poles (patented) and technique specifically for rehabilitation based on the concept of Nordic walking.
5,000 therapists and instructors in Canada as well as Australia, UK, Ireland and USA have completed the courses she developed on the use of Nordic walking for fitness and rehabilitation. She has been featured numerous times in national media including; the Globe and Mail, CBC Early Edition and the Toronto Sun. She was a finalist in the prestigious YWCA Women of Distinction Award for Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
Disclosure Statement: Mandy Shintani is the developer of the ACTIVATOR Poles and technique and course, as well as the co-owner of Urban Poling Inc. that distributes and sells Activator and Urban Poles.
Online Course Presented by Mandy Shintani, BSc (OT), MA (Gero) with excerpts from physiotherapist webinar guest speakers including: Dr. Becky Farley, PhD, founder of Parkinson’s Wellness Recovery; Lisa Robert; Judy Bovin; Hilary Jebson; Kristi Plourde; Rosie Sears and Peter Vavougios.
Cancellation Policy/Refund Policy: Online Course is non-refundable.
Note: Participants should only use this knowledge to work within their professional boundaries as determined by their association and college.
The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that “Urban Poling Inc.” meets the criteria ACSM Approved Provider status from (2019 – December 2022). Approved Providers and their content reflect the concepts of their respective organisations and do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of ACSM. Provider-ship # 843871. ACSM approved provider-ship of this program does not imply endorsement of the sponsoring organisation's products/services
Tags: Urban Poling Australia, Urban Poles, Pole Walking Australia, Urban Poles
Announcements & Events
There are around 4.3 million Australians who have a disability. The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is Australia’s latest support
Christmas is a wonderful time of year for friends and family to get together. While it’s a fun and festive holiday, gift giving can be a real
Whether you’re a local or just visiting for a weekend, Melbourne in the summertime is a buzzing hub of entertainment for all to enjoy. The city is
Thousands of Australians are living with limited mobility. Whether it’s resulting from an injury or due to a medical condition, having